• Half the population of Sierra Leone is under 15 years of age.
• The infant mortality rate of 148 per 1000 births is one of highest in the world.
• On average a woman gives birth to 6 children.
• The mortality rate amongst mothers is high at 2%, which is equivalent to approximately 4,500 deaths a year.
• The estimated number of births per year is 170,000.
• Children die from simple illnesses which, in the majority of cases, can be prevented. Malaria is the biggest killer. Other infectious diseases, i.e. pneumonia, meningitis, measles and diarrhoea constitute a large group