Current Masanga Hospital Appeal
1. To buy medical equipment for the newly rehabilitated hospital
Masanga hospital has completed phase 1 of rehabilitation, with Support from Lions Club Denmark and Association of Friends of Masanga. An Out Patient Department is fully functioning. Although it is treating patients once again, many items of equipment and supplies are still needed, including sterilization units in the wards, mosquito nets, bed linen and medicines. SLAA is currently raising money to buy these important supplies.
Support may be in cash or in kind; materials, drugs, medical equipment and facilities. eg A corporate body may wish to sponsor a ward or department, or make donations of relevant equipment ( Ceate link to plank page)
2. To improve the health of women in the Masanga area
Sierra Leone has one of the highest number of women dying during pregnancy and childbirth in the world. Improving the health of mothers in Masanga not only ensures the health of individual women but also improves the long-term health of their families. And a healthy family has a better chance of becoming a more prosperous family.
3. Refurbish and equip an laboratory
4. Motorbike Ambulance
What your money helps to provide
• A programme of Safe Motherhood.
• Essential maternity medicines and drugs.
• Training to increase the number of qualified midwives providing antenatal care and assistance at births.
• Free minor surgery for all at point of need
• The provision of equipment for a dedicated maternity unit.
• Vehicles to ensure that mothers have access to transportation to the nearest medical facility.
• Scholarships for training Community Health Officers and nurses (Click here for more information) What it costs
• £8.50 for one hundred injections of lifesaving maternity drugs.
• £200 to equip one midwife with a delivery kit which will last for a year.
• £20,000 buys a four-wheel-drive ambulance
How you can help
• make a donation - either a secure on-line donation though our Website or send a cheque to us.
• Help us raise money by getting your local community, school or church group to fundraise for the
• Let us know of any organisation or publication that you think may be able to help us in reaching our aims either through charitable donations, grants and sponsorship, or articles about our campaign"
• Put us in touch with medical professionals interested in providing voluntary services at Masanga Hospital
• Contact us to join our mailing list and receive up-dates about the progress of the Masanga Hospital Appeal.
• forward our contact and information to friends and colleagues who may also be interested to hear about the current plight of the Masanga hospital and our plans to rebuild it Thank you. Equipment needed
• basic diagnostic radiology / ultrasound
• equipment for the operating theatre
• supplies of intravenous giving sets (drips)
• urethral catheters
• suture material
• gloves Support may be in cash or in kind; materials, drugs, medical equipment and facilities. Corporate body may wish to sponsor a ward or department, or donate relevant equipment What you money can buy
• £5.10 1,000 chloroquine tablets for treating malaria
• £10.50 1 impregnated mosquito net
• £825 a large general instrument
• £6,000 an ultrasound scanner for obstetrics and gynaecology